The objective of the Eastside/Westside Project was to help foster an environment of mutual respect and understanding between the two communities by having youth from the two communities cooperate to create art.
This project had five components:
1. Two copies of a ceramic tile mural designed by the youth of YouthCity Central City and Lied Boys and Girls Club with Roger Whiting as lead artist. Designed completed at their respective locations. To be installed at both locations following exhibition at Sorenson Unity Center in June/July 2012.
2. A painted mural on cloth created by the youth of YouthCity Central City, Lied Boys and Girls Club and Sorenson Unity Center with Max Levi Frieder as lead artist and Roger Whiting as assistant. Created at the Sorenson Unity Center from June 21-22, 2012, with brainstorming and sketching activities at all three individual centers on June 20. On exhibition at Unity Center in June/July 2012.
3. Visual arts classes with YouthCity Central City and Lied Boys and Girls Club taught by artist Roger Whiting at their respective locations. YouthCity Central City classes (which included the mural class) occurred from October 2011 to May 2012. Lied BGC classes occurred from February 2012-May 2012.
4. Visual arts activities at the Halloween festival for Central City Recreation Center.
5. A mural unveiling / exhibition at the Sorenson Unity Center to which the local community was invited with free food and an art activity. Exhibition continues at the Unity Center with a copy of the ceramic tile mural and the painted mural both on display through the month of July.